Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Is it a good idea to put a little oil in the pot when you make spaghetti?

Also, how do you know when it's done? I heard that you can throw it against the wall, and if it sticks, it's done.Is it a good idea to put a little oil in the pot when you make spaghetti?
The oil helps keep the pasta from clumping together, it's not for flavor. If it does clump it won't cook evenly. Also you want to cook the pasta al dente, which means ';to the teeth'; in Italian, or in other words it should have a little bite to it and not be mushy. When I check to see if Spag is ready, or any other long noodle, I first wrap it around a fork or spoon handle to see if it can bend without breaking, if it snaps it isn't cooked all the way yet. Then, if it pasts that test i break a noodle in half to see if it still has a lighter white center, you have to look closely. If it does that means you haven't overcooked it and it's ready to go. Be careful though, because it will continue to cook as long as it is hot, and you want to have your sauce ready first and serve it quickly. A little salt in the water will help with seasoning, but add it after the water is boiling because salt water boils at a different temp then fresh water.Is it a good idea to put a little oil in the pot when you make spaghetti?
You can put a little oil in the water if you wish, as it does keep the pasta from sticking together and will help keep the water from boiling over. Even though my water is at a boil and I have a little oil in the water, I still stir the pasta for a couple of minutes as a safeguard ~ that's just me :) I hate pasta that clumps together and as my niece learned, you do need to stir some or it can clump easily, especially if you don't use the oil.





If you like your food on the wall, I guess you could throw it up there and eat it but I prefer mine on a plate ~ plus the sauce doesn't run off like it would on the wall *wink* lol





The best way to know when it is done is to taste it. Pasta should never be soggy/mushy but you don't want it undercooked either so depending on the type pasta, keep your eye on it and taste a couple of strands until it is just past the ';hard'; stage (after you blow on it to cool it down, of course :)





Check out these links for more info:





http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/artic鈥?/a>





Good video:


http://startcooking.com/video/255/How-to鈥?/a>





Enjoy :)
It does absolutely no good. If you have plenty of boiling water it won't stick together. Take a piece out and taste it. When it is to your liking it is done. Some people like it cooked more than others. Don't throw it against the wall, that just sounds trashy.
I do not. I read the directions for the amt of time to cook the pasta, then I bite into a piece to see if it is cooked properly. I do not throw it at the wall, I don't want to clean up the mess.
I add a little olive oil to the water for any pasta I'm cooking. It helps keep it separated. I just bite into a piece of pasta to see if it's done. I don't care for splotches all over my kitchen walls.
Dear God, don't throw it on the wall. It's done after 8 minutes of boiling, normally. No oil is necessary. Some Italian would turn over in his grave if he heard you say that!
No, the oil will prevent the sauce sticking to the pasta.


Just taste it, until the pasta is at the texture you want.
Also putting a few drops of oil in with the pasta water keeps it from boiling over so you can cook it at high heat and not make a mess
Always...so the noodles will not stick. depends. i like my pasta aldente. a littel hard. taste as you go and you will know the texture you want
Yes, I usually use a little (just a teaspoon or less) of vegetable-based margarine. The pasta doesn't stick, but there's not enough to really affect the sauce.
Yes it will help keep it from sticking. To tell if it is done, take a small piece and taste it. That is the best way.
YES SO IT DOSENT STICK TOGETHER!!!


PICK A PIECE OUT AND TRY IT......
yes it works
Don't add it to the boiling water. It does no good. Add a bit of salt to prevent boil-over and season the pasta. When the pasta is drained (provided you are keeping the boiled pasta separate from the sauce and combining together as each person serves themselves) add about a 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive oil (EVOO- as Rachel Ray obnoxiously states) to the pasta and stir to keep the pasta from sticking together in a large pasta lump.





Test the pasta for doneness by eating a strand or piece. If it is too hard for your liking, cook it some more. Pasta should be al dente...Having a bit of tooth too it-slightly hard to the bite not limp and overcooked.
oil, supposedly, keeps it from sticking together (Pam works too). I just taste a piece of it; or try it against the side of the pan with a fork. .....(My daughters tried throwing it against the wall when they were teenagers - but I think that was just an excuse for having a spaghetti fight:)
Yes, just a drop though, I use the old way of taking out a strand and tasting it, if it is hard to the bite, it is not cooked.


I don't want to mess up my walls. The package will give you cooking time, usually. Make sure you stir from time to time while cooking.
I never do, I add a lot of salt AFTER the water has come to a boil to season the pasta. I take a bite of the pasta after about ( depending on thickness of the pasta)8 minutes if it doesn't stick in my teeth, its done LOL
yes so it doesnt stick to the pot and burn and sometimes it actually gives it a little more flavor but not to much!
yeahh only put a tiny bit in and it will stop it all from sticking


my food tech teacher told me when i was a young un :) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment