Saturday, December 26, 2009

If a recipe calls for deep frying something in 340F oil, can I use a pan for a makeshift boiler?

Main concerns are wether or not it will ruin the pan and is it safe. Any tips from someone who has done the same would be awesome.If a recipe calls for deep frying something in 340F oil, can I use a pan for a makeshift boiler?
Yep, you can use a deep pan without any problems HOWEVER make sure you keep an eye on the oil as it heats, don't leave it to boil or it will burn.





I've been cooking for many years and last year I set a pot of oil on fire on my stove ~ I didn't have anything to put it out with so I had to carry it to the back door. I set the curtains on fire, burnt the carpet %26amp; narrowly escaped burning the house down. At the same time I managed to singe my hair %26amp; sustain 3rd degree burns to my right hand which was carrying the pot.





PLEASE be careful with oil on the stove ~ it can happen to anyone!!





EDIT: To test whether the oil is ready drop a very small amount of batter (I assume you will be deep frying something which is battered) in the oil. If it is ready the batter will float to the top straight away, then go crispy %26amp; golden fairly quickly. If the batter stays at the bottom of the pan with just a thin trail of bubbles upward the oil is not yet hot enough.If a recipe calls for deep frying something in 340F oil, can I use a pan for a makeshift boiler?
Pans are designed to take high heat from a stove. You will know when the oil reaches that temp (kind of low for frying, actually) when a THERMOMETER raeds 340潞F.





Get a candy thermometer that you cna clip on the side of your pot so the tip stays submerged.
first of all make sure the food is not frozen. you can use just about any pan you want, the bigger the food, the deeper the pan or pot. frozen food will splatter more because of the water that has frozen on it, so if you are planning on frying something that is frozen, use a deeper pot.
I almost always just use a pot and have never had a problem. I'm not sure what your making but use a deep pot and be careful of splattering. Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment